The NEOEA-Retired Organizing Committee promotes the welfare of retired members of the North Eastern Ohio Education Association (NEOEA) by identifying particular concerns of retired members as topics for training workshops and social opportunities, by serving as a link between northeastern Ohio retired members and those in other districts, and by fostering communication within OEA-Retired. Our goal is to provide you a resource to locate people and resources to assist you and keep you informed. Please consider volunteering to serve on one of our Sub-Committees. NEOEA-OEA-Retired members may use the Contact Us page to request log-in registration credentials for the NEOEA-Retired Member Only Page. We need your input to help the website evolve to better assist you. Submit your comments, questions, or contact updates on our Contact Us page.
The December Board meeting was lengthy due to the fact there is not a Board meeting in January. Here are the SERS December 2015 – Board Highlights
Although there are some bright spots with HR 711 (WEP reform bill) it still remains no one in he Senate will carry the bill.
SERS Board member Nancy Edwards strongly feels Ohio public retirement systems should speak out against the “Bank Custodial” issue that exists in Ohio. Ms. Edwards, the appointee from the Ohio State Treasurer’s office, feels the language directing public retirement systems to only use Ohio banks is miss read. However the other Board members have taken a fatalistic approach to this long standing inequity.
Thank you to NEOEA-R member Adele Matias, OEA-R ESP Representative, who attends and reports on the SERS Board activities. Here are the latest SERS Reports:
- SERS December 2015 – Board Highlights
- SERS REPORT NOVEMBER, 2015
- SERS BOARD MEET October
- SERS BOARD MEETING SUMMARY SEPT
- SERS BOARD ME July 15
- SERS BOARD May 21, 2015
An archive of Adele’s reports ins on our SERS Reports page.
OEA-R Delegate election results are in! See the OEA-R Delegates from NEOEA-R on our Delegates page.
The Ohio Education Association’s Division of Retired (OEA-Retired) is allocated a total of 45 delegates to the 2014-2015 OEA Representative Assemblies. The OEA-Retired Guidelines state that the following members of the OEA-Retired Advisory Council shall serve as automatic delegates by virtue of office.
Ballots to elect an additional 27 delegates were counted by members of the OEA-Retired Advisory Council on October 27, 2015. There were 2075 total ballots cast and of those, 2060 were valid and 15 were voided (voted for more than 27 candidates).
OEA-Retired members are eligible to run for any of these positions. Please consider running for one or more. Download the appropriate form for your election. Mail-in ballots are sent to all OEA-R members after the filling deadlines.
Due September 21, 2015 for the OEA-R Fall Election:
- OEA-R Delegates to the OEA Representative Assembly (~26 to be elected statewide)
- If you wish to be a candidate for OEA-Retired delegate to the OEA Representative Assembly, you must file a Declaration of Candidacy form by September 21, 2015. Contact Carol Price at OEA (800) 282-1500 or (614) 227-3169 for more information. – See more at: http://oea-r.ohea.us/page/election-information/
- OEA-R Advisory Council Representatives for North Central (to fill a vacancy)
- The vacancy for Northcentral Ohio E.A. District will fulfill a term ending August 31, 2018. The above office serves as an automatic delegate to the OEA Representative Assembly and Respective District Representative Assembly by virtue of office. Contact Carol Price at OEA (800) 282-1500 or (614) 227-3169 for more information. – See more at: http://oea-r.ohea.us/page/election-information/
Due February 15, 2016 for the OEA-R Spring Election:
- NEA-R Delegates to the NEA Representative Assembly (7 to be elected statewide)
- If you wish to be a candidate for NEA-Retired delegate to the NEA Representative Assembly, you must file a Declaration of Candidacy form by February 15, 2016. Contact Carol Price at OEA (800) 282-1500 or (614) 227-3169 for more information. – See more at: http://oea-r.ohea.us/page/election-information/
- OEA-R Advisory Council Officers and Representatives for: OEA-R Representative to the OEA Board of Directors; North Eastern; South Western; Western; Higher Education; Support Professionals.
- The term of office for these positions begins September 1, 2016 and ends August 31, 2019. These positions serve as automatic delegates to the OEA Representative Assembly by virture of office. Contact Carol Price at OEA (800) 282-1500 or (614) 227-3169 for more information. – See more at: http://oea-r.ohea.us/page/election-information/
Save the Date!
- September 3, 2015 in Columbus at the STRS Building
- The fee for the day is $15 which includes lunch.
- Car pool with others this is a worthwhile conference for the retired.
- Fill out a OEA-R Fall 2015 registration form and plan to be there.
Speakers include the OEA Officers, OEA Executive Director Sheryl Mathis, OEA-R Staff Liaison Dinica Williams, and STRS Executive Director Mike Nehf. STRS and SERS Health Care Personnel will be invited to speak on health care issues/changes for 2016 followed by questions and answers. Informational sessions about OEA-R activities and opportunities for involvement will be presented after lunch followed by the ever popular feature of our own retired members and their post retirement activities. Note: FREE Parking is provided at the STRS building.
Mail-in ballots from the month of March were counted on Monday, April 6, 2015 for the OEA-Retired Advisory Council Officer elections for Chair, Vice Chair and Secretary for three-year terms beginning September 1, 2015 and ending August 31, 2018. Election results are as follows: There were 2,082 votes cast and all were counted/valid. (OEA-Retired unified members and OEA-Retired only members only were eligible to vote).
- OEA-Retired Advisory Council Chair –
- 1293 Votes John Hoyes – ELECTED
- 662 Votes Dale Kain
- OEA-Retired Advisory Council Vice Chair –
- 1301 Votes Carol Kinsey – ELECTED
- 674 Votes Marsh Buckley
- OEA-Retired Advisory Council Secretary –
- 1121 Votes Peg Ham – ELECTED
- 847 Votes Jack Boyd
The OEA-R Delegates to the 2015 NEA RA are (in order of votes): John Hoyes (by virtue of office), William A. Dorsey, Carol Kinsey, Bill Sears, Marilyn Allen, Christina Wall Swank, Donald L. Traxler, and Marti Huss.
The OEA-R Alternates to the 2015 NEA RA are (in order of votes): Marsh Buckley, Nancy Wonson, Peg Ham, Homer O. Adams, Donna Smoot-Walters, Phil A. Long, Willie A. Terrell, Jr., Beryl M. Burkle, Kathleen Purdy, Jeff Corbin, Deloris Rome Hudson, Pat Wager, Sue Chaney, Judy Buschle, Marti Franks, Mary Binegar, Gail M. Gentile, Vivian J. Brown, Susie Crawford, Judy Ritchey Novak, Lorna Ferguson, and Diallas York.
The updated OEA-R Guidelines are now posted.
The new version reflects the changes as a result of the May 2014 OEA C&B Committee recommendation and OEA Board of Directors approval removing the prior service requirement for OEA-R officers in VII-A and VII-H and changing all references to “President”, “Vice President”, and “Immediate Past-President” to “Chairperson”, “Vice-Chairperson”, and “Immediate Past Chairperson”.
Mark your calendars. NEOEA-R will hold its sixth Spring Retired Conference at the NEOEA Conference Center on May 12, 2015 at the NEOEA Conference Center in Garfield Heights, just off I-480. The event will serve as the OEA-R Spring Conference and OEA-R members from all over the state will be invited. Of course all NEOEA-R and ORTA members in northeastern Ohio are also invited.
Download a NEOEA-R 2015 Spring Conference flyer/registration form.
Participants can choose two Breakout Session Topics:
- A: Health Care Utilization by Tamla Cole, STRS: Updates on benefits and programs
- B: What I Want My Loved Ones to Know by Guy Kendall-Freas, NEA Member Benefits: A practical look at life and family preparedness
- C: Legislative Update by Scott DiMauro, OEA Vice President: 131st General Assembly and other current issues
- D: Travel Tips for Retirees by Roland Winzer, European Adventures: Learn from an expert the steps to create your own “tailor-made” tour
Registration begins at 9:00 am with a Continental Breakfast and a brief Welcome.
Lunch, Door Prizes, and an NEAMB ice cream social will follow the two Breakout Sessions.
Then enjoy our optional Afternoon Adventure — Visit the newly-renovated, interactive Canal Exploration Center at the Cuyahoga Valley National Park. Learn how the canal and lock system influenced Ohio’s growth.
These days, most schools start well before September, but Labor Day is still the last summer holiday, and many of us still think of it as the “real” end of the summer break. Northeastern Ohio educators are used to attending Labor Day activities in and around their communities, from the six-day Canfield Fair in the east to the Lorain County Family festival in the west. This year, NEOEA will again be a sponsor of two of these events.
The North Shore Federation of Labor will hold its Second Annual Labor Day Festival at John F. Kennedy Memorial Park at 6161 Engle Road in Brook Park, from 10:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. on Saturday, August 30. For more details, see the flyer at http://neoea.org/comm/LaborDayNSFL.pdf.
Lorain County Organized Labor will hold its Twentieth Annual Labor Day Family Celebration from noon to 8:00 p.m. on Sunday, August 31, at Black River Landing, 421 Black River Lane, Lorain 44052. See the flyer at http://neoea.org/comm/LaborDayLorain.pdf.
NEOEA is a sponsor of both these events and will have tables at both. Stop by and say hello, and bring the family!